I'd like to share with you some important information that i came across about fasting that every Muslim should know.
This is a just a little bit of information, inshallah I will post up some more info soon.
1) Fasting is compulsary for the following persons;
b)who is sane
c)who has reached the age of puberty.
d)Who is healthy
e)who is able to fast
f)who is residing (not on a journey)
g) in the case of a female, she should be free from Haydd (monthly Period) and
Nifaas (menstruating after childbirth)
2) Niyyah (intention) is a required condition in fard (obligatory) fasts, and in other obligatory fasts such as making up missed fasts or fasts done as an act of expiation (kafaarah), because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "There is no fast for the person who did not intend to fast from the night before." (Reported by Abu Dawood, no. 2454.)
3) Things that invalidate the fast ( MUF'TIRAAT) are:
a)Whatever enters the hollow. thus whatever passes the throat invalidates the fast, or when a person puts drops in his nose or ears or places a bud or something similar behind his eardrums. Also if a person puts his finger or anything in his anus, or when a doctor places any instrument in the womb to examine the fetus, then also the fast becomes invalidated.
b)To vomit intensionally or deliberately
c)Sexual intercourse or when/ sperm are discharged intensionally & masterbation (see here )
d)the occurence of Haydd or Nifaas
4) the following do not invalidate the fast;
a) Involuntary vomiting
b) having a wet dream
c) Brushing teeth even with toothpaste as long as it is not swallowed ( but it is better not to use it)
d)Applying hair Oil and perfume
e) Tasing food (not swallowing it)
5) Performing Taraweeh: It is sunnah to perform 20 RAkaah Taraweeh and it is recommended to complete the Quraan during taraweeh within the month of Ramadaan before the 29th of Ramadaan. Taraweeh is also called Salaatul- Qiyaam. Below is a duaa to be read after every four rakaats during the taraweeh.
This is it for tonight i am off to bed now, just have 3hrs till sahoor. Inshallah will post some more soon.